Anybody aware of me understands that gnocchi is certainly one of my favorite dishes, however, I’m very specific about my gnocchi. It must be mild and ethereal, not dense and gummy and though I normally choose to make ricotta gnocchi, there are occasions when I want potato gnocchi as a substitute. Now that the hustle and bustle of the vacations are behind us, I’ve begun to overlook our house in Umbria.
I like the whole lot about Umbria, with its meals being on the prime of the record. To carry Umbria into my Florida kitchen final week, I decided to make a Norcina sauce. Norcia is a city in Umbria that sits on the base of the Sibillini Mountains and is legendary for its pork merchandise. One of many dishes Norcia is related to is a sauce made with sausage and mushrooms; that’s deliciously sure along with heavy cream.
Although this sauce may be very wealthy and decadent, it’s the epitome of consolation meals and works properly paired with many forms of pasta, together with gnocchi. As a result the sauce is reasonably heavy, I feel it works better with potato gnocchi than the extra delicate ricotta gnocchi. This dish is a hearty one, so I feel it’s best served as a major course reasonably than the first course or primi.
I’ve been testing out many variations of potato gnocchi currently and have discovered that I choose baking reasonably to boiling my potatoes because it helps to keep the potatoes dry requiring much less flour. The less you knead the gnocchi, and the less flour you employ will assist in creating lightweight textured gnocchi.
Utilizing the potatoes while they nonetheless heat additionally helps to scale back the quantity of flour wanted to serve to maintain your gnocchi mild. Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes are each good forms of potato as they’re fairly starchy although I choose Russet potatoes.
To make mushrooms the star of this dish, I floor up some dried porcini mushrooms and added two tablespoons of the dried mushroom powder to my potato gnocchi dough. I do encourage you to incorporate this step into this recipe, however, this potato gnocchi will likely be fantastic without the porcini powder if you do not need to take the additional time.
I all the time have jars of truffle paste in my pantry, some I introduced again from Italy with me, whereas others I purchase at specialty meals shops, and even House Items. To make this dish much more decadent, I added a jar (50gm) of truffle paste to my sauce. In case you are fortunate sufficient to search out some I’d say go for it, however, the dish continues to be scrumptious without the truffle paste.
There are set “guidelines” on which pasta dishes cheese is acceptable, and it’s stated that any pasta dish with mushrooms, truffles, or seafood shouldn’t embody cheese. Guidelines are supposed to be damaged typically although, and when you like cheese in your pasta, I’d recommend utilizing freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese on this dish.
- 3 Medium to Giant Potatoes (About 2 1/2 Kilos Riced)
- 1 1/2 Cups All-purpose Flour (Plus Further For Rolling)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1/3 Cup Dried Porcini Mushrooms (Non-compulsory)
- 4 Delicate Sausage Hyperlinks
- 8 Ounces Recent Mushrooms, Cleaned And Coarsely Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Peeled & Minced
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Dry White Wine
- Salt & Pepper
- Purple Pepper Flakes (Non-compulsory)
- 1 1/2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 1 (50 gm) Jar Truffle Paste (Non-compulsory)
- Grated Pecorino Romano Cheese (Non-compulsory)
- Preheat oven to 375 levels F. and place the potatoes on a baking sheet.
- Bake your potatoes in their skins till fork tender, about 45 minutes.
- Whereas the potatoes are baking, use a spice mill or meal processor to grind the dried porcini right into a fantastic powder if utilizing.
- Take away two teaspoons of the porcini powder for the gnocchi.
- Minimize the potatoes in half, then place on a plate till they’re cool sufficient to deal with, about 5 minutes.
- Scoop out the potato flesh and press using a potato ricer right into a bowl.
- Add the egg yolks, and porcini powder if utilizing, and slowly begin including the flour just a little at a time, mixing gently along with your arms and proceed till you have created a gentle workable dough.
- Knead gently solely lightly till you have achieved an easy, pliable if barely sticky dough.
- To form the gnocchi, first break the dough into fist-sized items, and roll each bit right into a log concerning the thickness of your thumb on a calmly floured floor.
- Minimize into 1-inch items.
- Place the ready gnocchi on a calmly floured baking sheet and preserve refrigerated till prepared to make use of.
- Take away the sausage meat from the casings, and prepare dinner till now not pink in a heavy saucepan over medium warmth, breaking apart the meat with a fork because it cooks for about 7 minutes.
- As soon as the meat begins to brown, add the olive oil, onions, and mushrooms and proceed to prepare dinner till the onions and mushrooms are gentle and simply starting to brown about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and prepare dinner for one other minute or two.
- Add white wine, and simmer uncovered for a couple of minutes till the wine has diminished by half, about 5 minutes.
- Add cream and season with salt, pink pepper flakes, and black pepper to style.
- Proceed to prepare dinner over medium-low warmth till the sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes.
- If utilizing, add the truffle paste to the sauce and stir to mix properly.
- To prepare dinner, drop the gnocchi rigorously into salted boiling water and take away instantly as they’ve all floated to the floor.
- Drain, return to the pot, and add half the sauce.
- Gently toss the gnocchi to coat with the sauce, then spoon the gnocchi into particular person bowls.
- Serve the gnocchi, with an additional scoop of sauce on prime.
- Go to the grated cheese on the desk.
Serving Dimension: 1
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 883Whole Fats: 52gSaturated Fats: 26gTrans Fats: 1gUnsaturated Fats: 22gLdl cholesterol: 222mgSodium: 677mgCarbohydrates: 77gFiber: 6gSugar: 9gProtein: 21g