A basic vacation aspect dish, these tacky scalloped potatoes are final consolation meals at their best! Tender potato slices are layered with cheese, coated with a creamy flavorful sauce, topped with much more cheese then baked to melt-in-your-mouth perfection!
Satisfying and indulgent, creamy cheese scalloped potatoes are the most effective hearty aspect dish for particular events and holidays! They’ve much more cheese than my simple scalloped potatoes and are extra decade than my cheesy potato and cauliflower casserole.
Made with tender potatoes, an easy creamy roux sauce, and two sorts of cheese, it’s a basic aspect dish that goes well with principal dishes like roasted turkey and stuffing at a vacation dinner or Italian breaded pork chops and meatloaf for a Sunday supper!
Creamy scalloped potatoes with cheese are baked to bubbly cheese perfection and are probably the greatest potato aspect dishes that can turn into the requested time after time once more!
Why These Are The Greatest Cheese-Scalloped Potatoes
- Additional tacky: Three layers of potatoes and cheese coated in a creamy sauce is mouthwatering chew after chew on this tacky scalloped potato recipe.
- Baked to perfection: Because the dish bakes within the oven the potatoes take in all of the creamy tacky sauce for the most effective taste!
- Crowd favorite: My youngsters named these ‘Canadian potatoes’ and they’re requested for each vacation meal from Easter to Christmas dinner and even birthdays!
- Potatoes: 4 medium potatoes are wanted. Russets or Yukon Gold is most well-liked.
- Cheese: I want freshly grated Fontina cheese. You would use any good melty cheese like Agency mozzarella cheese, Gouda or Gruyere cheese.
- Parmesan cheese: Freshly grated from a block.
- Roux (white sauce): Butter, flour, milk, salt and pepper.
How To Make Tacky Scalloped Potatoes
To start, peel and thinly slice potatoes then soak them in chilly water. Drain properly and pat dry. Whereas your potatoes are soaking, grate your cheese.
Subsequent, in a medium pot make your roux. Soften the butter then whisk within the flour till clean. Add milk, salt, and pepper then proceed whisking till the cream sauce is thickened. It could foam and bubble. Take away from the warmth.
In a buttered casserole dish, add a layer of potatoes, sprinkle with half of the grated cheese, and add some white sauce. Proceed with one other layer of potatoes, the remaining grated cheese, and white sauce.
Add the final layer of potatoes and the remaining cream combination then sprinkle the highest with Parmesan cheese.
Bake till the potatoes are fork-tender. Relaxation for 5-10 minutes earlier than serving.
Substitutions And Variations
- Forms of cheese: Sharp cheddar cheese is a well-liked selection when making this tacky scalloped potatoes recipe.
- Milk: As an alternative to complete milk you should use heavy cream which can add much more decadence.
Caramelized onions: Including caramelized onions and even thinly sliced onions to the layers of potatoes will add further taste.
- Seasonings: Including seasonings in the roux like dried thyme or mustard powder will add further taste.
- Tacky scalloped potatoes and ham: If in case you have leftover vacation ham it will be nicely cubed and added to the layers.
- Parboil potatoes to save lots of time: If you need this dish to bake quicker, parboil your potato slices for five minutes in boiling water. Drain and proceed with the recipe.
- Don’t skip soaking your potatoes: For the most effective scalloped potatoes recipe, soak the potatoes. This removes extra starch content material and promotes even baking.
- Greatest potatoes to make use of: You may be surprised what potatoes are greatest for self-made scalloped potatoes. The 2 greatest potatoes are both Russet potatoes and Yukon gold potatoes. Each is a starchy variety that is maintained up properly to baking.
- Shred your cheese: Freshly grated cheese not solely tastes higher within the creamy cheese sauce but melts higher, too!
- Crispy cheese topping: For a golden brown topping, broil the scalloped potatoes for a couple of minutes at the finish of the cooking time.
Leftover potatoes will be saved in a hermetic container in the fridge for as much as 3 days. Whereas it has the potential to freeze leftovers, potato texture could change when thawed. It would final for as much as two weeks in the freezer.
Scalloped potatoes vs. au gratin potatoes – it’s straightforward to see the place the confusion comes from as they’re each potato dishe which can be made with thick lower spherical potatoes in both a creamy sauce or layered with cheese.
Historically scalloped potatoes are made with a creamy white sauce that doesn’t include cheese. Potatoes au gratin are layered with cheese and infrequently onion. These tacky scalloped potatoes are the most effective of each dish!
To ensure that this potato dish to prepared for dinner correctly and in a well-timed method it’s essential to slice your potatoes about an ⅛ inch thick. A pointy knife can assist you do that or higher but a mandoline slicer will present the greatest even outcomes.
Sure, scalloped tacky potatoes are an amazing dish to make forward which is a timesaver for vacation meals! Assemble the casserole making certain that the potatoes are coated by all the creamy tacky sauce.
This prevents them from oxidizing and turning grey or brown. Cowl the dish and fridge for as much as 2 days. When able to bake, let the dish sit out at room temperature for half an hour. Then bake as directed.
Sure! You’ll not have a crisp topping however will probably be the proper aspect dish. Put together assemble and slice potatoes. Layer within the crockpot as directed and high with cheese. Sluggish prepare dinner on low for 7-8 hours till potatoes are tender.
Extra Potato Recipes
It is a scrumptious Creamy Tacky Scalloped Potato recipe that is ideal for a household gathering or firm coming for dinner, I hope you prefer it as much as we do. Buon Appetito!
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 cup grated Fontina cheese ( or agency mozzarella, gouda, or gruyere cheese) 80 grams
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
FOR THE WHITE SAUCE
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1½ cups milk
- ½ teaspoon salt 2 grams
- 1-2 dashes black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter (for buttering the baking pan)
Forestall your display from going darkish
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Evenly butter an 8-inch (21 cm) baking dish.
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes. Soak the potatoes in chilly water for about Half an hour, drain properly, and pat dry.
- Grate the Fontina.
- In a medium pot soften the butter, add the flour, whisk till clean, add the milk, and proceed whisking add the salt and pepper and whisk till thickened (simply till bubbles begin to seem) take away from warmth. (If too thick add a bit of milk).
- In a frivolously buttered baking dish add a layer of potatoes (⅓ of the potatoes), sprinkle with half the grated cheese and ⅓ of the white sauce, one other layer of potatoes, final half grated cheese, ⅓ white sauce, final layer of potatoes, white sauce and sprinkle with the freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Bake coated for 45 minutes, and uncover and proceed cooking for about 15-half-hour, or till tender. Let sit 5-10 minutes earlier than serving. Get pleasure from!
You may need to broil the potatoes for 2-3 minutes to brown the highest.
Leftover potatoes will be saved in a hermetic container in the fridge for as much as 3 days. Whereas it has the potential to freeze leftovers, potato texture could change when thawed. It would last as long as two weeks in the freezer.
Energy: 280kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 12g | Fats: 15g | Saturated Fats: 9g | Ldl cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 507mg | Potassium: 681mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 495IU | Vitamin C: 16.2mg | Calcium: 269mg | Iron: 4.8mg